Sunday, April 10, 2011

Blog Update on a new Mac!

Hey Everyone! Long time, no...uh....read? Eh, you get the point...

I realized the other day that I had not done a Blog Update in AGES, so I thought I'd say hello! Not too much blog stuff to talk about today, so I guess I'll just have to randomly ramble for a few minutes about whatever pops into my head.

First, I guess I should explain the title of the post. As it was recently my B-Day, I got a new computer! It is my first Mac and I LOVE it! It runs super fast and has all sorts of neat features. It was sad saying goodbye to my trusty Dell, but the sadness didn't last for long. :)

In other news, I won an advance copy of Neal Shusterman's Everfound! I hope it will arrive sometime next week, but I really have no idea. And don't worry, you will only have to wait a few more weeks before you can get it. Also on the topic of Shusterman, I was intrigued by one of his recent facebook posts. Mr. Shusterman was going to be contributing to an anthology, and he learned that one author's story was rejected because it contained a male-male romance. In response, Mr. Shusterman is writing his story as a male-male romance, but in a very interesting way.
Okay, so here's the concept of the short story I plan to write. Due to all the gender-related troubles of the day, in the future, gender isn't assigned until the teenage years, when people can choose for themselves. Two teens deeply in love choose - one male, one female -- but due to a clerical error, they both end up as male, and it can't be undone. Now they're left to deal with it...
The story, to be titled "A Matter of Personal Pronoun", is very intriguing, and has caused heated debate on Shusterman's facebook page. I personally am not going to be sharing my opinion on this topic, as not to offend anyone, but I think that this story will include the issue of gay relationships in a very interesting and new way, no matter what your personal opinions are on the topic. If you would like to see the posts about this story, see Neal Shusterman's facebook page.

In other news, I have officially heard that the Hunger Games is going to be a movie! I am not really excited about this, because I am VERY nervous that they are going to mess up this great story. If done well, this movie could be AMAZING and VERY powerful, but based on most book-inspired movies, I am doubtful that this will happen. Oh well, there is nothing I can do about it but hope that they do the movie right. I will keep you updated as I find out more info.

Alright, here is the part where I need YOUR help! That's right, I'm talking to YOU! Right now, 90% of my book recommendations come from the Amazon recommendations based on previous purchases, but there are obviously limitations from a computer choosing my books. Since you are reading my blog, you probably like books at least similar to the things I like, otherwise it would be a slight waste of time. (Unless you just like my fantastic writing, which is understood.) My request is for you to recommend some books for me! I still have a few in my wish list on Amazon, as well as a few on my bookshelf that I want to read, but suggestions from you all would be greatly appreciated! Plus, I just like hearing from you ! There are many ways to talk to me: leaving comments on this (or any) post here on my blog, post on the Corey's Book Talk facebook page, or mention @CoreysBookTalk in a tweet! I try hard to check all of these places frequently, even if I do not post frequently. I love getting into extended book talks with people, and that is what this blog is for! Don't be afraid to leave comments on posts; it makes my day every time I see new comments to moderate!

Well, I think that is about all I have to say for now. (And I actually wound up talking about book-related stuff! Miracles happen!) As usual, keep checking up on twitter and facebook for updates, feel free to give any suggestions for books to read, new types of posts for the blog, or any other new blog features, and keep reading!

- Corey

Follow Corey's Book Talk on Twitter!
Like Corey's Book Talk on Facebook!

No comments: