Saturday, September 30, 2006

Reaching Dustin

Reaching Dustin
Viki Grove

Carly wants to be the class reporter. When she finds out that the interviewing project they are about to start, she thinks it will be no problem, until she finds out she is interviewing Dustin Groat. Dustin is a loner, and always filthy. He is quiet and rude. Part of this is because the rest of the class laughing at him, and some because of his family's reputation. When Carly finds out that his family is cruel to him, and Dustin needs to be helped, Carly does everything to help.

At my school, every spring, we have a litturature conferance where eight authors from Missouri come to our school. To be able to go to the conference, each kid has to read one of the author's books. When I got to Viki Grove, all of the books were about girls. All but one. Reaching Dustin was the only book not about all girls. Even though it looked boring and stupid, this book was by far the best book out of the eight authors. It covered some interesting issues, and was very well written. I would reccomend this book to anyone.

If you had to interview someone you thought was a weirdo, how would you react?

If you heard Dustin's music, would you go talk to him or just listen?

If you thought Dustin needed school, how would you go about getting him back in?

Please give me your comments and answers to this post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reaching Dustin looks like a very good book. I haven't read it but this book sort of reminds me of The Midwife's Apprentice.

Corey said...

It is great, Hannah. I don't know if it is like The Midwife's Apprentice because I haven't read that, but I might try it out.