Gone Series #2
Everyone over the age of 15 has disappeared from the town of Perdido Beach. One moment they were there, and the next, nothing remained but empty space. That was months ago. Since then, Sam has taken control of Perdido Beach and driven out Caine and his band of power-hungry Coates kids. Even though this victory seemed to lighten everyone's mood, when the food supply dwindles, kids start to get desperate. Ridiculous fights about who can watch what movie or when people should go to bed plague Sam and push him to the breaking point. Unfortunately for Sam, now is not a good time to rest. Caine is on the move again. This time, he hopes to control the power plant, regulating who gets electricity and who doesn't. Sam knows a fight is coming, but with little morale, Lana the healer missing, and the "normal" kids beginning to rial against the "freaks", the fight will be harder than ever.
Once again, a great book in the Gone series, but not quite as good as the first. This may be because the first has a slightly more positive outlook, but I felt that the ending of this one seemed to easy, and the sacrifice too meaningless. Had it ended in a greater climax, I think it would have been better. Still, the book was great. New characters were introduced, and old characters developed even more under new amounts of pressure. Sam is starting to crumble both physically and emotionally, which saddens me because he was such a strong figure in the first book, even with his reluctance to take power. Really, this extra weakness makes things more suspenseful than the first, and this book continued the demand for the next in the series. It drove me crazy having to wait to start Lies until after I finished 1984 for an English assignment.
Questions for Thought:
1. How would you try to combat the zekes and get the food from the fields?
2. What is the best way to deal with Zil and the HC?
3. Is the idea of money a good one, or should everything be kept free? Or is a bartering system better? How would your system be set up compared to Albert's?
4. Knowing you were the only person who could heal people, would you risk your life to combat the Darkness?
5. Now that Caine has shown cooperation with Sam, how should Sam proceed with their relationship?
6. With new hardships to face, would you leave the FAYZ or stay? Does this differ from your previous answer? Why?
Please leave your comments and answers!
Follow Corey's Book Talk on Twitter!
Like Corey's Book Talk on Facebook!