Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Doomsday Box

The Doomsday Box

Herbie Brennan


The CIA has a new need for the Shadow Project operatives (Opal, Michael, Danny, and new operative Fuchsia), concerning another top-secret project. A long time ago, the CIA meddled in teleportation and time travel, creating a rift in the fabric of space-time. It has been sealed for a long time, but the American government thinks it is time to open it up again. While digging a tunnel back down to the rift, an alarm went off in the room where the rift remains open, signaling that something came through. The CIA needs the Shadow Project operatives to check and see if everything is okay. Opal sees nothing, so the digging continues. When they finally break through, someone finds a box filled with old urine samples sitting on the floor. When the box is opened, everyone is exposed to a terrible virus, more deadly and contagious than the Black Death. Now, it is up to Danny, Fuchsia, Opal, and Michael, to travel back in time and prevent the box from coming through, but their task is far from easy...

I always say that a sequel can never be as good as the first book, but this book has proven me wrong. As much as I enjoyed the Shadow Project, this one tops it. The concept of time travel always interests me, as I stated in my review of the Tomorrow Code, and combining it with Cold War history and the KGB makes it even more interesting. The combined powers of the operatives and many twists and turns in the novel make it extremely suspenseful and exciting. The characters develop a lot more in this book, and I like that it occurs in the real world, even if it is in the past. I still love the way that it switches from character to character. This was a great book and I hope it isn't the last Shadow Project Adventure!

Why do you think that the Shadow Project operatives' mission was sabotaged? (I don't think there is a finite answer in the book, sorry if I just forgot it. It has been a few days since I read it and some details escape me.)

Do you think time travel is possible? Do you think the benefits outweigh the risks?

If someone told you to kill their father, not out of anger but as a sacrifice to save countless others, could you do it?

As usual, please comment!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THX!